The internet is flooded with web pages. There are thousands of pages that cover similar matters, sell the same products, and offer the same service
Unfortunately,there are many cases of pages with suspicious legality, scams, and unprofessional companies. Hence, internet users today need to trust a website when it comes to buying, hiring or believing in it information.
Confidence is a very relevant factor in the user experience and we must pay special attention.
WHAT ASPECTS MUST WE TAKE INTO ACCOUNT TO GIVE OUR USERS CONFIDENCE?
To ensure that users trust in our website and thus offer a good user experience, we will take into account the following aspects:
- IDENTITY: The identity of the business or the owner of the web page is crucial to offer trust. It is the first aspect of what the user analysis. Whose page am I visiting?.
The identity of the web owner should be displayed clearly and in a visually prominent position (usually at the top left or centre of the page)
A which does not clearly provide the identity of the owner generates much distrust in the user. Why do you not want me to know the identity of the site? What do you have to hide?
- CONTACT: If the user has any problems, doubts or comments, they want to get in touch with the owner of the web for that. We must offer a link, a contact page in a clear and visible way.
A user is not going to buy from an online store or hire a service if there is no easy way to contact the company if they have any needs before.
Within the contact section, we must take into account several points:
- FIXED TELEPHONE: Displaying a fixed telephone number offers more confidence and professionalism to the user than a mobile number.
- PHYSICAL ADDRESS: The address of the owner offers guarantees of veracity and legality.
- EMAIL: The use of generic email accounts like @ hotmail.com, @ gmail.com, etc … do not provide trust or professionalism. It is recommended to offer an email of the domain itself.
An email that does not offer trust is “firstname.lastname@example.org” since the user does not know if he will contact the owner or the person who manages the web.
- LEGAL ADVISE: The Legal Advice page offers great confidence to the user since it collects legal information of the company and transmits seriousness and legality.
- COMPANY PAGE: For a user to trust us, it is not enough that they know our identity, they want to know who we are and what we dedicate ourselves to. A page with company information is very positive for trust in our website.
- THE COLOURS : Colours convey feelings, emotions and messages. There are colours that convey confidence and security like shades of grey and the blue. These colours also transmit professionalism.
When the designing the web we must keep in mind the psychology of colours and combine it with the message or sentiment that we are trying to transmit to the user. The colours that we choose Will have to have some relation with the theme of our website and we will avoid very striking contrasts and that distract the user.
- GRAPHIC DESIGN AND DISTRIBUTION: The graphic design and distribution of the elements and the information conveys a sense of knowledge in the matter and professionalism.
- IMAGES/GRAPHICS/ICONS: The graphic elements, images and banners must be related to the theme of the web page, otherwise, the user will feel confused and suspicious
With icons, they must be representative and significant.
- LANGUAGE AND TEXT: For a user to trust us, we have to use clear, educated and professional language, avoiding being too technical and without falling into pretentiousness.
Texts should be free of spelling and concise.
- WORD “FREE”: The word “free” is a very recurrent and attractive word however, its excessive use or highlighting it produces distrust in the user. Also, it is better to use variants of the word “free” as “complimentary”, etc … (For a user’s trust “Complimentary download” is not the same as “Free download”.
- WORD “HERE”: Phrases such as “click here”, “Access Here” or “Enter Here” are great enemies of trust on the Internet since they have been used by many false, illegal and malicious pages.
- RELATED ADVERTISING: If a website has advertising, it has to be related to the theme or purpose of the website. If this is not the case, the user may be suspicious of the professionalism the website.
- TRUSTED STAMPS: If it is possible, include official or third-party trust stamps on our website offers many guarantees and therefore, a lot of confidence.
The speed of response to a query of a user and the information offered are key for the user to trust us.
- UPDATED AND DYNAMIC INFORMATION: If the information we offer is outdated, or is not changing, we will transmit an impression of carelessness or little interest in our website which will also produce little interest in our website by the user.
A web page that has the same banner or a article on the home page after two months seems like a forgotten website or one to which little interest is lent.
NAME OF DOMAIN: The domain of the website is one of the first factors that will influence the confidence offered by our website.
In the domain we will deal with the termination (.com, .es, .net, …) as well as the length and representation of our web, avoiding numbers and scripts
These have been some of the many aspects that influence the confidence that a user may have on our website.
If a user does not trust us, they will not have an enjoyable user experience. Since trust, just like in human relations, is of vital importance on the Internet.